Thursday, August 18, 2011

Library Storytime

I have read several blogs about decisions with school, jobs, and being a mom. So here is mine! I have never wanted to totally give up teaching Spanish. It seems at times it is my link to being a real person...it seems to give my something professional to say in my world of doctors and professional people who can more than match my bachelors degree. I have been told a million times that mom is fine but I have never been able to feel professional when I tell people I am a mom.
Also, I like to feel like I am helping with our money situation during the times of NO or little money. I want to be able to do something that makes more than $0 a hour so I can buy a package of almonds if Ben wants them.

So I use Spanish...I tutor, I teach classes, or I do story time. However, every time I embark on one of these missions, I feel a drain. I ignore my kids or get mad as I try to explain that I don't look professional with nutella on my white shirt. Then when people pay you money...you have to be more than a mom and this hard to be when you are already working 24 hours a day. In the end, the money I make doesn't seem much more than $0 an hour and I am not sure the drain I took is worth it. But in the past, I could not let go of my ideals.

Now after all of these years...(partly because we now have money) I think I am going to let my ideals GO. What I am really committed to is my kids learning some Spanish and more importantly learning about languages and people. I want them to feel like learning a language is obtainable. I want them to understand that their are countries and people in our world who look and speak differently than us and that there is a way for us to understand them. I think when I teach them Spanish and we talk about countries that speak Spanish; they get this.

I have often thought that the library might be my key...and I am going to try it out. So on the last Tuesday of the month for $0 I am going to teach Spanish story time at the library....for my kids (and if others want to come that's fine). I would just teach them at home...but I need an extra motivational push. The library will by my motivation to keep up with their Spanish and practice a little with them.

Then one day when Elizabeth learns Chinese (she says she has to learn since she is going on her mission there...that is a whole post itself) I will know that all my effort to help her be accepting of language and people will have been worth it.
I guess (just like the commercial says) it will be worth more than $0 because it will be priceless.

Okay, maybe being a mom does sound more professional.

1 comment:

  1. You are so cute! I love that you are teaching at the library for free.....I think that's great.

    I remember in KY you tutoring, and I always used to think to myself Allyson is so great I should be doing something to earn a little income for our poor school times. Of course I never did, but I always admired you for it.

    ReplyDelete